[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend

adrian at lawsonlundell.com adrian at lawsonlundell.com
Wed Oct 1 17:40:22 EDT 2003

Hey all,

I love Mythtv I now watch all my television on myth. I was impressed with 0.10 and am now running 0.11 and love all the new features, I only use the official releases don't have the time to mess with cvs so I won't complain about the minor glitches.

I currently have a headless backend machine running gentoo with one tuner in it that is also my media server, mp3s, videos, games etc. I run the the front end from a diskless mobo with bultin vga lan audio that boots from a USB memory stick. I used the knopmyth distro for the frontend, once the kernel loads from the memory stick the root file system is mounted from an nfs share on the server this was easy since knoppix is already designed to be booted from read only medium and there is still plenty of room on the USB memory stick for a persistent home drive or whatever. It took a little while to work out the details and I was surprised that I couldn't find anyone else doing this. It seemed a lot easier to me than getting PXE or etherboot working and setting up tftp and bootp or dhcp. The total cost for the front end machine was about $130 so I might just put these all over the house.

If anyone is interested in the details let me know.

Adrian.

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying attachments contain
confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above.  Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this communication by anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error please immediately delete the E-mail and either notify
the sender at the above E-mail address or by telephone at (604) 685-3456.
Thank you.