[mythtv-users] PVR 350 output oddities

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Sun Nov 30 23:02:55 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:41:08PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> They're slightly different -- the first is that we're seeking fast enough that
> the decoder isn't getting enough time to do all of its buffering, and so
> doesn't display anything.  Second is that I haven't figured out if it's
> possible to tell it to stop after showing one specific frame.

OK, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.  Once I get caught up from the
holiday and the new keybinding stuff (hopefully tomorrow), I may try
to take a look at these.

> Yeah, same here.  Try capturing at 720xX, that may help.  It's an artifact of
> the decoder (telling it to display the last shown frame after it's stopped
> decoding) after a seek.  I can make it be all black, but that didn't feel

Ah, that would explain the effect.  It seems something is forgetting
to scale the image to full width.

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:50:46PM +0100, Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> The ivtv driver has ioctls to enable ffw and rewind with smooth video
> display. I don't know if there is something that can be done about the
> edit mode, this is unusable with the pvr350 at the moment.

I tweaked test_ioctl to allow calling the slow/fast ioctl to see if it
did anything useful in its current state.  It took a reboot to get the
decoder back into a sane state so I think some more investigation and
work are needed.

I'm confident the forward issue will be overcome in one way or
another.  The rewind issue, however, may be a different story.  First,
the driver doesn't currently even allow it.  Second, myth isn't set up
at all to feed frames backwards.

> Enabling ffw and rew in h/w would cost a second engine specifically for
> the pvr, I don't know if this is what Isaac will go for.

The PVR 350 seems to be gaining in popularity pretty quickly so
something will have to be done eventually.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel at attbi.com