[mythtv-users] PVR 350 output oddities

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sun Nov 30 16:50:46 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 22:41, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 02:07 pm, David Engel wrote:
> >
> > First, when in sticky fast forward or rewind mode, the OSD time
> > display updates but the video usually doesn't update until I go back
> > to play mode.
> >
> > Second, and probably related, when I try to move around when the video
> > is paused, either from pressing pause or entering edit mode, the video
> > doesn't get updated.
>
> They're slightly different -- the first is that we're seeking fast enough that
> the decoder isn't getting enough time to do all of its buffering, and so
> doesn't display anything.  Second is that I haven't figured out if it's
> possible to tell it to stop after showing one specific frame.

The ivtv driver has ioctls to enable ffw and rewind with smooth video
display. I don't know if there is something that can be done about the
edit mode, this is unusable with the pvr350 at the moment.

Enabling ffw and rew in h/w would cost a second engine specifically for
the pvr, I don't know if this is what Isaac will go for.

> > Third, this one is kind of hard to describe because it happens so fast
> > but I'll try.  When I skip forward or back in play mode, Before
> > resuming at the new location, the video is shifted about 1/4 to 1/3
> > left on the screen with some previous video showing through on the
> > right side.
>
> Yeah, same here.  Try capturing at 720xX, that may help.  It's an artifact of
> the decoder (telling it to display the last shown frame after it's stopped
> decoding) after a seek.  I can make it be all black, but that didn't feel
> right when I tested with things.

720 p wide capturing does help with that. This way you can skip nicely
through the video. I don't use the ffw and rew very much, actually.

Torsten