[mythtv-users] CMedia 9739A - on board AC'97 audio - My Alsa woes

Saravanan Subbiah saravanan_subbiah at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 14 02:10:42 EST 2003

I got sometime to get back to setting up my mythbox and everything went
well till I had to set up sound.

After upgrading to 0.9.8 alsa in my Gentoo installation, removing
btaudio and inserting snd-pcm-oss module I was able to get alsa up.
But there is no volume control. It is either mute or 100 %. I read
somewhere that this is something to do with the codec which doesn't
support it ?

Also while recording/playing I find that there is a high pitched hiss. I
could hear it even if I try aplay /dev/dsp with muted xawtv. And
interestingly I find that this noise is higher in some channels than
other.

Has anybody gotten their C-Media 9739 chip to work (without the hiss) ?

thx,
Saravanan