[mythtv-users] RE: New CLE266 Drivers

Joe Reeves mysfitt at kered.org
Wed Nov 12 14:16:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 bpierce815 at charter.net wrote:

> This entry in the PDF documentation version 0.91A on
> viaarena.com also led me to believe that HW Decoding was
> taking place.
>
> "8. Hardware Video Overlay – VCD/ DVD playback
> The CLE266 display driver package supports the Hardware
> Overlay function.
> Mplayer video player is used to test this function. First
> of all, use the “#lsmod”
> command to make sure the “via_v4l_drv” module is loaded.
> Next, go the X
> Windows and type “#xine –Vxv” to start playing VCD or DVD.
> "
>

> What does this paragraph mean, then(other than the fact
> that they don't know the difference between mplayer and
> xine)?

XV is an X extension that takes advantage of hardware overlay and scaling
features in your video card. Hardware decoding is another thing entirely
and only works with mpeg2, while XV can used with any video output.

~Joe

--
"In a consumer society there are inevitably two kinds of slaves:
the prisoners of addiction and the prisoners of envy."

~courtesy of fortune