[mythtv-users] GCT-Allwell set-top boxes

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Tue Nov 11 23:04:14 EST 2003

Has anyone ever looked into the set-top boxes from GCT-Allwell
(www.gctglobal.com) for a frontend?  The CPU speeds are generally slow on
the 3036 models ( <300 Mhz) but they do mention an optional MPEG decoder.
The 6086 series offers faster CPUs (400 Mhz fanless or 800 Mhz with fan).
There's also an article about MPEG4 playback on the box in Linux:
http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/Taichi/MPEG4_PLAYBACK/mpeg4_playback.html.

I'm just getting started experimenting with MythTV so I can't determine
how useful one of these boxes would be as a frontend.

Just found this page:
http://www.gctglobal.com/Products/Set_Top_Box/Accessory/accessory.html
which shows the MPEG decoder as a "EM8400".

I actually have the most basic model (1030N) that I was given from a
previous employer.  Right now, it's my firewall/router so I can't do much
testing on it... plus, it's only 266Mhz or so with no decoder card.  The
company seems interested in Linux applications for their devices though so
they might be open to sharing the information required to make a frontend
out of one of them.  I have no idea what prices are as their catalog is
some sort of .exe file :\.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>