[mythtv-users] Whine on some channels - ATI TW Wonder VE w/VIA8233 Sound

William H. Gilmore whgi at gms-online.com
Sun Nov 9 23:03:35 EST 2003

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.  I have been playing around with MythTV for about a week now.  Things are going well, except for audio:(

A little about the machine/OS first.  The machine is an Athlon XP running at 1.8 GHz with 512 MB RAM.  I am currently using the onboard audio (Via 8233) and an ATI TV Wonder VE for for capture.  The audio out from the TV Wonder VE is patched to the Line In on the Via 8233.  The OS is RH 9.0 patched from the ATrpms per the instructions from the MythTV site.  My sources is NTSC broadcast US.

My biggest problem since starting with MythTV has been sound.  I have gotten output from /dev/dsp by muting the Line In in the alsa mixer; however, about 2/3rds of the channels have a high pitch whine.  There doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason.  Channels 2 & 4 don,t.  Channels 6, 7 and 9 do.  The UHF channels are mixed in whether the whine appears or not.  The whine doesn't seem to be associated with signal strength/picture clarity.

If I play the same channels through xawtv using the Line In for audio, everything works with no whine.

Any tips or directions "WILL" be appreciated.

Thanks,

William