[mythtv-users] XvMC - almost got it working...

Chris Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Sat Nov 8 14:59:04 EST 2003

Alright, I'm running MythTV on a K6-3 450 so I definately can benefit from any
hardware decoding I can get.  Since I have a GF4MX, I decided to try to get
XvMC running.  After some advice from people on this list earlier, I have got
it psuedo-working.

Originally, when I would try to playback XvMC content mythfrontend would seg
fault.  I also could not use mplayer's XvMC output plugin, so I figured there
was something wrong with my X setup.  After downgrading my NVIDIA drivers from
1.0-4496 to 1.0-4363 (as was suggested from this list), it still didn't work.

This morning I started digging through my XF86config file, and noticed that I
had TwinView set up even though I'm only using the TV for video output.  Also,
re-reading NVIDIA's readme on TwinView I noticed that there was a warning about
overlay support / etc when TwinView was enabled.  So, I disabled TwinView and
setup the TV to be my only monitor in the XF86config file.  After reloading X,
I found the mplayer's XvMC support now worked.  So I recompiled MythTV with
XvMC support and loaded it up.

Eureka!  Mythfrontend played back a recording just fine, and CPU usage was at
35% compared to the typical 85%.  Just to make sure things were working, I
tried to play another show and disaster struck.  As soon as I tried to play the
second show, mythfrontend seg faults and I get this following error on my
command line:

Using XvMC version: 1.0
Using XV port 105
Unable to create XvMC Context
Changing from None to WatchingPreRecorded
Segmentation fault

Does anyone have any idea what this means?  And secondly, what I need to do to
resolve this?

Some stats about my system:
  - K6-3 450Mhz CPU, NVidia GF4 MX 440 Graphics, PVR-250 for tuner
  - Running MythTV 0.12

Thanks!

-
Chris Wieringa