[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-pci problems

Joe Buehl jbuehl0001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 11:00:02 EST 2003

Thanks, that worked.  I'm getting video and audio now, but the frame rate is pretty terrible.  I am using the onboard SiS 650 video which doesn't support xv so my guess is that the poor 1.6MHz cpu is pegged doing both the encoding and rendering.  I could get a new video card to offload the cpu, but I have a Shuttle that only has 2 pci slots and I have them filled up with the capture card and a Soundblaster card which gives me digital audio output which I don't want to lose.  I am thinking that my best bet is to replace the capture card with a Hauppauge 250 that will support the hardware MPEG encoding and let the cpu continue to take care of the graphics work.  I already know it is capable of this because I have been using this machine to play Divx and MPEG2 videos and it looks fine.

Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:On Friday 07 November 2003 09:52 pm, Joe Buehl wrote:
> I just installed MythTV from the RPMs and I have
> gotten everything to work except for the video card.
> I have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-pci (about 3 years old -
> not the 250/350). It works under Windows as well as
> with xawtv under Linux (RH 9.0).
>
> I have the capture card configured as an MPEG-2
> encoder. When I select WatchTV in mythtv I get a
> black screen and no audio and mythfrontend is hung.
> There is an error message from mythbackend:

You have to configure the card as a normal v4l capture card, as the mpeg2
encoder is not supported in linux.

Isaac