[mythtv-users] Black screen when running mythtv

Mariano Kamp mariano.kamp at web.de
Fri Nov 7 13:13:49 EST 2003

Hi,

  any hints what I can check for?

  I also tried to import the xml output from nxtvepg with
mythfilldatabase --file VideoSourceName -1 /program.xml

  It took a couple of minutes but returned with "0 replacements made".

  I also ran

  mythfilldatabase --xawchannels VideoSourceName ~/.xawtv

  Again I got 0 replacements made.

  I ran
  mythfilldatabase --xawchannels VideoSourceName ~/.xawtv
  and was prompted for loads of channels with pre-set values, which I didn't
change.

mythfilldatabase --file VideoSourceName 3 /program.xml
returned once more "0 replacements", but also gave me loads of errors for
duplicate entries.

When firing up mythtv I get the following:
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:14.0"
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:14.0"
connecting to backend server: 192.168.0.1:6543

But that's about it. No x-window is launched.

All that was on rock (see quoted posting).

When launching mythtv from black I just get the messag e that it is connected
and then nothing happens.
When launching mythtv-frontend I see an x-window and when selecting Tv/
Schedule Recordings/Program Finder it seems to work. At least I am able to
define recordings (the rectangle in the upper right corner stays black
though?).
When selecting Tv/Schedule Recordins/Program Guide it hangs.
Same for instant recordings.
In case of TV/Watch .. I just get a black screen and no key (apparent to me)
gets me back, but pressing CTRL-C at the command line.

Cheers,
Mariano

On Thursday 06 November 2003 23:27, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have mythv-* installed on two boxes:
>
> 	Rock:
> 	- cheap bttv grabber card (xawtv)
> 	- all mythtv components (0.11-6 from unstable) including mysql
> 	- no x-server (actually there is not even a console attached)
> 	purpose: record and serve
>
> 	Black:
> 	- no grabber card
> 	- mythv-frontend (and everything what it depends on according to the .deb)
> 	purpose: view recorded stuff, manage mythtv
>
>   When opening an X-Session from black to rock I am able to run xawtv
> -remote and can watch tv and switch channels. I also ran scantv and it
> stored all the right channels. I can't listen to it, but I guess that's
> fine as it is remote. It shouldn't affect the recording, should it?
>
>   With mythv I don't know how tod configure the channels. I am positive
> that I specified the right device /dev/video0. At least that is the one
> xawtv is using as nextview EPG is.  I selected german/austrian as region.
>
>   I believe I read on mythtv.org that the upstream for xmltv is broken. At
> least I am sure that this was where I found the link for nextview EPG.
> Anyway I am not able to find it anymore and also haven't figured out how to
> tell mythtv about nextview epg. I found how to export the xml file in
> nextview epg, but don't know where to put it.
>
>   The next problem might be due to the a.m. problems, still I want to voice
> it. When running mythv and try to watch (on rock or black) I just get a
> black screen and nothing is happening. Do I have to switch channels? How? I
> haven't found how to stop it, but by ctrl-c on the console. Any ideas? Btw.
> syslog is empty and the mythtv log just confirms that there was an attempt
> to connect and that it was successful.
>
>   The picture quality is pretty bad (with xawtv), but I guess that is due
> to the fact, that it is just PAL, isn't it? It is way worse then divx or
> something similar. Just wondering?!
>
>   Is there a new debian package with 0.12 in the makings? Will it find its
> way into the official distribution.
>
>   Will nextview epg be tighter integrated in 0.13?
>
>   All in all, I am quite impressed what I've seen. Very good job. I am
> looking forward to use it.
>
> Cheers,
> Mariano

- --