[mythtv-users] Black screen when running mythtv

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 14:11:50 EST 2003

Top posting rearranged.

On Friday 07 November 2003 13:13, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2003 23:27, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I have mythv-* installed on two boxes:
> >
> > 	Rock:
> > 	- cheap bttv grabber card (xawtv)
> > 	- all mythtv components (0.11-6 from unstable) including mysql
> > 	- no x-server (actually there is not even a console attached)
> > 	purpose: record and serve
> >
> > 	Black:
> > 	- no grabber card
> > 	- mythv-frontend (and everything what it depends on according to
> > the .deb) purpose: view recorded stuff, manage mythtv
> >
> >   When opening an X-Session from black to rock I am able to run
> > xawtv -remote and can watch tv and switch channels. I also ran
> > scantv and it stored all the right channels. I can't listen to it,
> > but I guess that's fine as it is remote. It shouldn't affect the
> > recording, should it?
> >
> >   With mythv I don't know how tod configure the channels. I am
> > positive that I specified the right device /dev/video0. At least
> > that is the one xawtv is using as nextview EPG is.  I selected
> > german/austrian as region.
> >
> >   I believe I read on mythtv.org that the upstream for xmltv is
> > broken. At least I am sure that this was where I found the link for
> > nextview EPG. Anyway I am not able to find it anymore and also
> > haven't figured out how to tell mythtv about nextview epg. I found
> > how to export the xml file in nextview epg, but don't know where to
> > put it.
> >
> >   The next problem might be due to the a.m. problems, still I want
> > to voice it. When running mythv and try to watch (on rock or black)
> > I just get a black screen and nothing is happening. Do I have to
> > switch channels? How? I haven't found how to stop it, but by ctrl-c
> > on the console. Any ideas? Btw. syslog is empty and the mythtv log
> > just confirms that there was an attempt to connect and that it was
> > successful.
> >
> >   The picture quality is pretty bad (with xawtv), but I guess that
> > is due to the fact, that it is just PAL, isn't it? It is way worse
> > then divx or something similar. Just wondering?!
> >
> >   Is there a new debian package with 0.12 in the makings? Will it
> > find its way into the official distribution.
> >
> >   Will nextview epg be tighter integrated in 0.13?
> >
> >   All in all, I am quite impressed what I've seen. Very good job. I
> > am looking forward to use it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mariano
>
> Hi,
>
>   any hints what I can check for?
>
>   I also tried to import the xml output from nxtvepg with
> mythfilldatabase --file VideoSourceName -1 /program.xml
>
>   It took a couple of minutes but returned with "0 replacements
> made".
>
>   I also ran
>
>   mythfilldatabase --xawchannels VideoSourceName ~/.xawtv
>
>   Again I got 0 replacements made.
>
>   I ran
>   mythfilldatabase --xawchannels VideoSourceName ~/.xawtv
> [...]

First of all, you don't run 'mythtv'.  You run 'mythfrontend'.  Until
you get your mythfilldatabase issues solved, your Program Guide and
Watch TV functions will not work, because you have no channels defined
in your database, or possibly because you didn't complete the backend
setup program properly (you must go through all 4 main setup sections
in order, and make sure you bind your video source to an input!)

-JAC