[mythtv-users] lirc problem after crash

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 13:28:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 12:57, MythTV at C4L wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 08:48, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> >>SNIP
> >>
> > > No, I'm not loading anything ivtv/myth related when I first boot.
> >
> > I didn't ask about ivtv or Myth; I asked if you were starting
> > lircd. You won't get any reponse from /dev/lirc if lircd isn't
> > running.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't very clear here.  I'm not loading anything to do
> w/lirc, either modules nor lircd on startup.

Well, you should be.  If not during boot, then at some point before
running mythfrontend.  Can you run other LIRC-enabled programs like
irxevent or mplayer (w/LIRC support enabled)?

> > > I have played around a little bit more, and now I can get "irw"
> > > to repond to the remote, but when I start "mythfrontend" I still
> > > get the same error messages:
> > >
> > > mythtv: could not connect to socket
> > > mythtv: No such file or directory
> > > Failed to create lirc socket for mythtv
> >
> > Hmmm, are you running some other program that's using lirc?
> > irevent or irxevent, perhaps?  You're not supposed to run those if
> > you're using Myth's native LIRC support.  I don't know if LIRC
> > supports multiple processes simultaneously.  I don't use the native
> > LIRC support, so I'm really not familiar with all of the specific
> > issues.
>
> I'm also not loading any other lirc programs, eg. irxevent.  I
> thought it would be good to run native LIRC in Myth, but maybe not.
>
> I was hoping someone would know how to get more debugging information
> from mythfrontend on startup, so I could pin down what socket could
> not be created and what "file or directory" doesn't exist and why it
> failed to create the socket needed.  The message output isn't leading
> me anywhere.

Well, you could try running mythfrontend in 'gdb'.  Even 'strace' should
at least give you the name of the file/unix socket it's trying to open.

-JAC