[mythtv-users] Alternative to separate front-end

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Wed Nov 5 12:13:14 EST 2003

I've been thinking of ways in which I would like to implement my Myth box,
once it is built.  It occurred to me that instead of having a
front-end/backend machine in the living room with all of the associated
noise and instead of separating them (with similar problems) there may be
another solution.

What I propose is to run coax (RG6) and an IR repeater from the living room
downstairs to the basement, where all of the geek stuff is.  The IR would
repeat from the Myth front-end/backend server upstairs to the living room.
The video out on the Myth server would go into a channel modulator, then
upstairs.  That would give a "Myth Channel".  Any room that wanted to
control the Myth box would simply tune to the channel and use a remote in
that room to repeat the signal downstairs.  Of course, only one person at a
time can control the box but that's the way it works anyway.

Is anyone doing something like this?  If so, does it work?