[mythtv-users] Hard crash, where to begin?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun May 25 18:11:19 EDT 2003

At 06:55 PM 5/25/2003 -0500, Matt wrote:
>If I'm just recording something, not watching TV, does myth use the sound
>card?  It crashes just from recording.

In general, the answer is "it depends". On the vidcap card you are using,
on your kernel, and on your Myth settings.

But usually, the asnwer is yes. The btaudio driver, the other possible
source of capture sound, is something you would probably know if you were
using. If your "regular winTv" card is the WinTV Go, then either you are
using the sound card, or you are trying to use btaudio and it is not
working (it does not work with that card ... check the list archives for
details).

Reports on use of the OSS sound drivers are mixed, though my own troubles
with it were well short of anything I might characterize as a "hard crash".
Steve's suggested use of the ALSA drivers might not be required, but it is
the safe approach.

>Steve Davidson wrote:
>
>>I had this same behavior on my RH9 install until I switched to the ALSA
>>drivers.  See my previous post entitled "Setup instructions: suggestion
>>re Alsa on RH9".
>>
>>My hardware: Athlon 1600+ on MSI K7T turbo, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hauppage
>>WinTV PCI, sound onboard (VIA 686b).
>>
>>Try disabling your audio drivers before watching live tv - this should
>>help to confirm if the sound drivers are causing your grief.  The Alsa
>>drivers can be a pain to build on RH9; read my previous post before
>>building to save yourself some stress...
[old stuff deleted]