[mythtv-users] How do you make an IR Transmitter script for MythTV?

Vincent AE Scott mythtv at codex.net
Sun May 25 10:56:51 EDT 2003

#if netslayer /* May 24, 07:41 */
> I'm in the process of building a IR Transmitter for my DirecTV receiver
> which does not have a low speed data port :-(. Basicaly I'm trying to
> figure out how to make a script to send IR signals out to it, and how to
> tie that script into Myth. If someone could give me some advice (since I'm
> pretty clueless for this part of the project) it would be great. Also if
> someone could post their script here for an example, that would help a lot
> also. Thx
>
> *For the integration with Myth - The script is just saved somewhere, and
> you link it up in the myth setup for the capture card am I right? But then
> how does myth know what to send that script, i'm lost...

#endif /* netslayer at hotmail.com */

myth sends the script, its idea of what the channel number is.  the
script then has to convert that to the actual channel number for the
STB.  here's a snippet from my change_channel.sh script:

#!/bin/bash
RC=/usr/local/bin/rc

echo $* >> /tmp/change_channel.log

case "$1" in
        222)  #sky one
                $RC SEND_ONCE ntl 1
                sleep 0.4
                $RC SEND_ONCE ntl 1
                ;;
        16)     # bbc1
                $RC SEND_ONCE ntl 4
                sleep 0.4
                $RC SEND_ONCE ntl 8
                ;;
 and so on.

the sleep's are necessary for me, as the STB/IR transmitter cant handle
any shorter frequencies between signals without the stb loosing the
signal.

somewhere in one of the setup gui's, you configure mythtv to run the
above external command.  that should be it, apart from updating the
mappings in the script for your channels.

HTH
-v

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Multitasking = screwing up several things at once