[mythtv-users] New to the whole DirecTV thang.

Jeremy Oddo joddo at apixels.net
Thu May 8 22:55:08 EDT 2003

Tarek Lubani said:

> Personally, I recommend a not-brand-new receiver, since brand new
> receivers are kind of wasting their talent as myth boxes... And, of
> course, make sure that it has some sort of communication method that is
> serial. It is *much* easier than trying to communicate with something
> using an IR transmitter..

Hmmm.  I like.  So, do you still use LIRC?  I'm guessing that you have an
IR receiver that connects to you computer and a serial connection from
your computer to your dish receiver.  Correct?  What do you use to send
the signals from your computer to your dish receiver?

> I think the perennial faves are RCA and Sony receivers, though I suppose
> anything with the serial connectors would be OK.. As an extended aside
> there, you might want to avoid the ones with "home control" jacks, since
> they require some sort of adaptor, though I hope somebody corrects me if
> I'm mistaken..

I *think* mine will work.  It's model #DRD435RH.

> here's a page with a few models and success with them:
>
> http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

NICE site.  Very helpful...thanks.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy