[mythtv-users] better tv-out cards

Thu May 8 21:17:04 EDT 2003

I was really interested in getting one of the new parhelia cards for the good quality TV output which is alleged, but the Matrox message forum seemed to be full of people using very strong language about the state of the linux driver.

My ATI Radeon I bought because that the best quality output at the time with a fast graphics core, but I have spent too much time getting the tv out working and it is a real compromise at best.

I currently have a geforce 2 which has adequate tv out.  But I would be interested in getting a 5200 if someone could NAME A MAKE AND MODEL which have decent tv out (and no fan...).  Everyone seems to be bleating that they have a 5200, but then not pointing out which card it is, or which tv chip.

I have done a reasonable amount of research on the tv output, but since you have take a pretty strong tone on this, could you at least point to some docs on how to get the parhelia working with tv out?  I would be quite interested in buying one if the quality was good.  Ideally I would like a card with RGB output, but these seem few and far between and even then only workable with the windows driver - bummer.

Thanks

P.S. 3D works very well under X with ATI and many of the newer cards.  NVidia is not the only 3D option (although the support is probably better)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Olszewski [mailto:ray at comarre.com]
Sent: 08 May 2003 16:49
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] better tv-out cards

At 09:23 AM 5/8/2003 -0600, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
[...]
>For 3D, you are correct, NVidia is the only game in town.  For 2D, you are
>full of ****.  As far as clean output goes, you cannot beat Matrox.  They
>have been known for this for years, and their newest hardware doesn't change
>that.  Their TV out works just fine with overscan etc.  They are much more
>willing than NVIDIA or ATI to release their specs, and have been supported
>for much longer and with a more complete function set than anybody else.
>You just don't need 3D for mythtv, and that is all nvidia has going for it.

Do you then know of a procedure for running TV out on a Matrox card and
simultaneously supporting xVideo? The docs at
http://www.bglug.ca/matrox_tvout/g450_tvout_howto.html seem to say that you
cannot get xVideo to run with TV out on the G450 and G550 ... and these are
the only Matrox cards I am aware of that support TV out with X.

If you do know how to do this, could you post either the details or a
reference (URL) to the details?