[mythtv-users] ntsc video out

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Mon May 5 14:29:39 EDT 2003

Craig Longman wrote
> i finally took the plunge and downloaded the nvidia driver from their
> website, i had really hoped to be able to just stick with the built-in X
> stuff, but oh well.

you definitely want an accellerated driver over the built-in stuff,
especially if you might want to run OpenGL stuff sometime.

> it compiled and installed remarkably easy, and i thought 'wow, something
> went smoothly here, pretty cool'.  yeah, right.  after figuring out i
> needed to load a kernel module first, i can get X loading, but it
> doesn't work, it just hangs the system at some point i the startup (i
> know the config is ok, starting with only the monitor activated is
> fine).  i was getting further with the regular nv driver and nvtv.  i
> guess i'm going to forget about trying to get linux working on a tv and
> just continue working on the configurable key bindings.  oh well, it was
> a nice idea.

have no fear.  we're here to help, man... :)  post your file like
Joseph suggested.  there are some config parameters that are not
intuitive that need to be done to get things setup.

you might also try an older version of nvidia's driver.  I'm still
not running the "latest", because what I have is working to a decent
level of satisfaction (I don't have overscan control in this driver,
but I get output and I don't want to risk breaking that right now,
since I do record shows with MythTV pretty regularly and watch them
on my TV).

-Chris