[mythtv-users] what is an appropriate epia for mythfrontend only?

Greg Nyce greg.nyce at aei.com
Mon Mar 31 03:30:12 UTC 2003

Joseph Jamieson wrote
> Well, if you use your nVidia card with TV-Out being the ONLY output
> device (no CRT or Flat Panel attached as well) you can use nvtv to
> adjust overscan, and you shouldn't have any problems with "tearing" (xv
> double buffer apparently only works on primary display.)
>
> In this scenario it wouldn't be a bad card.  However, I probably
> wouldn't put a Ti4600 under the TV set to be a TiVo.   The price of the
> Ti4600 alone is about the price of an entire TiVo.    However, the GF2's
> and stuff apparently work even better with nvtv.

nvtv doesn't fully support the GeForce4 Ti line.  I think they have
support now for the 4200, but not the others, yet.   I happen to have
a GeForce4 Ti 4600 and am using it with TV-out and am quite happy with
it, despite the outer ~5% of my TV picture being a black border (it's
about an inch on each side on my 27" TV).

For NVidia boards, a GeForce2 MX is probably the best choice.  It's
cheap, it allows both monitor and TV-out at the same time *and* nvtv
can adjust those borders on it.  when I get around to building a
dedicated frontend, that's what I'm going to put in it.  :)

-Chris