[mythtv-users] Audio Buffer over run

Rick Clayton (VIA-Cyrix) RickClayton at viatech.com
Mon Mar 24 17:04:59 UTC 2003

--- David Ferguson <DFerguson at pathfire.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the help to the people that answered my
> a couple more questions please.  Can you watch a
> program as it is being
> recorded?  Is it possiable to use the Xvid codec?  A
> suggestion for a turner
> card that gets good quality and high resolution?  I
> have read that Mythtv
> can use a tv turner card that has hardware mpeg
> compression and also I a
> have read that it doesn't???  What I would like to
> do is use a card that
> compreses to Mpeg2 and then compress it to either
> Xvid or Divx, any
> thoughts?

Well, if you're a newbie, I recommend sticking to the
hardware that works the best for the most people:
something like a Hauppauge WinTV card. Stick to a well
understood distribution, though I don't know exactly
which one that would be: there are a lot of Myth users
of RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, and Gentoo. RedHat and
Mandrake are the overall simplest.

MPEG2 is not possible (yet). It will be at some point
when the WinTV PVR-250 card is supported, but those
drivers aren't done and it isn't integrated into
MythTV either.

MJPEG (motion JPEG) hardware compression works with
the Matrox Marvel G200-TV and G400-TV. It's trickier
to get it working, but the picture quality is high and
you don't need a fast CPU.

The software codecs used in MythTV are RTJPEG, a
customized Nuppelvideo codec, and MPEG4, which is DIVX
for Linux. Other codecs are not supported.

./jj