[mythtv-users] Asus A7N266-VM

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Mon Mar 17 01:53:13 UTC 2003

See my comments below:

> > 1) I can't seem to get the nForce sound running full duplex. I am
> > running
> > ALSA and using the example modules.conf from the ALSA page. I keep
> > getting
> > errors like unable to open /dev/dsp. fuser shows no processes with it
> > open
> > in general. It's as if it is opened for output and then MythTV tries
> > to open
> > it for input. In the interim I have added a cheapo Yamaha YMF724 (also
> > with
> > ALSA) as /dev/dsp1 and it works OK, although I'd like to get that PCI
> > slot
> > back. Ideas? From the sounds of things Cedar has it working OK... Any
> > tricks
> > to getting it working?
> >
> The alsa install went very smoothly for me. You might look at the
> setting up alsa and Red Hat section of the docs at www.mythtv.org
> because I wrote them based on my experience getting alsa going on this
> board and red hat. Below is the relevant section of my modules.conf. It
> is embarrassingly  unorganized, and some may not be "correct" but it
> works for me!
>

> ################# lirc
> alias char-major-61  lirc_serial
> ################################
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
>
> ################### alsa
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> # module options should go here
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> # card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> ###################
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> alias char-major-195 nvidia
>

> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>  >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>  >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>  >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>  >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> alias eth0 nvnet
> alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio
> alias usb-interface usb-ohci

I followed the instructions on alsa-project.org but yours are basically the
same including the modules.conf stuff.

My modules.conf is essentially the same as yours minus the post-install
pre-remove stuff which just saves/restores mixer settings etc. I will add
this later once it works.

I notice you still have the nvaudio module installed. Why? Are you using
/dev/dsp for both capture and playback? Or are you using one driver for
capture and one for playback?

I'm almost positive I have done things right, since I even have both
soundcards running ALSA and working correctly as /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1. I
have definitely removed the old drivers.

> > 2) If I try to use the onboard video (GF2 MX like) with the current
> > (as of
> > about last week) Nvidia binaries, I can't even get xawtv to work.
> > Running it
> > generally causes an instant reboot/reset of the board. MythTV is
> > equally
> > unsuccessful although it doesn't cause a reboot. Plugging in a GF4 MX
> > 440 in
> > the AGP and disabling the on board video and everything works about as
> > good
> > as you could expect.
> >
> To get this board working I first built fresh rpms (because I was using
> an updated kernel) like this:
>
> as root:
>
> # rpmbuild --rebuild source_rpm_name_here
>
> then pay attention to the last few lines of the build process. That
> will tell you the path to the output binary rpm. Usually something like
> /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
>

>   I also commented out the line
> Load  "dri"

I might still have this (at work at the moment), but the same config works
fine with the GF4MX

> and changed
>
> Driver      "nv"
>
> to read
>
> Driver      "nvidia"
>
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Thanks for the suggestions, but I basically did exactly what you have
suggested except that I built the graphics driver from source rather than
.src.rpm. I have absolutely no problem with the GF4 MX including tv-out
(xawtv and mythtv) so I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing with
installing it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Christian