[mythtv-users] Asus A7N266-VM

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 01:28:07 UTC 2003

> 1) I can't seem to get the nForce sound running full duplex. I am
> running
> ALSA and using the example modules.conf from the ALSA page. I keep
> getting
> errors like unable to open /dev/dsp. fuser shows no processes with it
> open
> in general. It's as if it is opened for output and then MythTV tries
> to open
> it for input. In the interim I have added a cheapo Yamaha YMF724 (also
> with
> ALSA) as /dev/dsp1 and it works OK, although I'd like to get that PCI
> slot
> back. Ideas? From the sounds of things Cedar has it working OK... Any
> tricks
> to getting it working?

The alsa install went very smoothly for me. You might look at the
setting up alsa and Red Hat section of the docs at www.mythtv.org
because I wrote them based on my experience getting alsa going on this
board and red hat. Below is the relevant section of my modules.conf. It
is embarrassingly  unorganized, and some may not be "correct" but it
works for me!

################# lirc
alias char-major-61  lirc_serial
################################
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-ohci

################### alsa
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
# module options should go here
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
###################
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias char-major-195 nvidia

post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio
alias usb-interface usb-ohci

> 2) If I try to use the onboard video (GF2 MX like) with the current
> (as of
> about last week) Nvidia binaries, I can't even get xawtv to work.
> Running it
> generally causes an instant reboot/reset of the board. MythTV is
> equally
> unsuccessful although it doesn't cause a reboot. Plugging in a GF4 MX
> 440 in
> the AGP and disabling the on board video and everything works about as
> good
> as you could expect.

To get this board working I first built fresh rpms (because I was using
an updated kernel) like this:

as root:

# rpmbuild --rebuild source_rpm_name_here

then pay attention to the last few lines of the build process. That
will tell you the path to the output binary rpm. Usually something like
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

go there.

make sure you don't have a previous version of that rpm installed

# rpm -e binary_rpm_name_here

then install your freshly compiled rpm

# rpm -i new_binary_rpm_filename_here

I installed the nforce platform combo drivers, the nvidia kernel driver
and the glx package.

  I also commented out the line
Load  "dri"

and changed

Driver      "nv"

to read

Driver      "nvidia"

in /etc/X11/XF86Config

finally it tuned off usb legacy support in the bios to get usb working.
now everything on that board works perfectly.

Best of luck,
cedar