[mythtv-users] RE: Re:Need a little help with setup

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 4 02:32:52 UTC 2003

>> I think I have it.  I did not set the password for the root.  As soon as I
>> did that, setup started to work.

r> Yes. I'm the person who asked about this last week, and I too figured
r> out the problem before anyone here posted anything helpful.

r> Since I'm not alone, I wonder if a short note about this requirement
r> should be added to the installation instructions, to assist first-time
r> MySQL users ...even though this is not a MythTV problem as such.

	It's been a while but I didn't have to set the MySQL root
password to get things working so it doesn't seem to be a requirement
for everyone.  I think I only ran mysqlaccess to create the MySQL
account/password for "mythtv".  This was for RedHat 8.0.

        It does seem strange that the mythtv doc (section 6.4) shows
slightly different ways of running mc.sql for different distributions
(eg, "su; mysql" versus "mysql -u root").  Does the distribution
really make a difference?

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net