[mythtv-users] using themes on a 640x480 display

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Mar 4 00:53:01 UTC 2003

At 06:25 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, John Danner wrote:
>You need to set your MythTV GUI size in setup to 640x480.
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.5

Thanks, guys. Like I said, something obvious.

One thought ... in the spirit of Charles Weaver's suggestion to me earlier
today ... whoever maintains the above HowTo should consider updating the
instuctions a bit.

The current instructions say:

"In 0.7, edit the file themes.txt. In 0.8, from "mythfrontend" go to
Setup->Appearance. To ensure that your new dimension settings, exit and
restart MythTV."

Since the default GUI is 800x600, there is no way I can see to use it *on*
a 640x480 display to change the setting *to* 640x480 ... the "Setup" choice
is in the invisible and unreachable lower-right corner of such a mismatched
display ... making that part of the instructions a Catch-22 ... unless of
course the 0.8 version has changed the accessibility of this choice in some
way I cannot see.

And for version 0.7-13 of MythTV (the Debian version I've installed here),
the filename "themes.txt" is incorrect ... the actual file (at least on the
Debian install) is /etc/theme.txt. (And it is also missing from the .deb
binary ... I had to add it from the src-deb package.) A small difference to
be sure, but one worth correcting nonetheless.

So I'd suggest modifying the above HowTo section to tell users of version
0.7 the correct file name. Since I'm not running 0.8, I don't really know
if the instructions for it are workable, but on the guess that they are
not, I'd suggest modifying its part of the instructions to steer the user
to a config file he can edit, as in version 0.7 (/etc/theme.txt, if it is
still used).

Next, I'd consider shipping MythTV with the default set to 640x480, not
800x600. It's pretty easy to use a GUI Setup command to make the GUI
larger, but all but impossible to use it to make it smaller if the default
places the Setup widget off the visible screen.

Finally, this information might be better placed in section 10.1 (Using
Themes with MythTV) than off in section 18 (Miscellaneous), where it is
easily missed (at least I missed it there).