[mythtv-users] driver for ati tv wonder ve

Jason Cooper jcooper at nevernight.net
Mon Jun 30 19:41:35 EDT 2003

Joshua Santelli (santellij at yahoo.com) wrote:
> While I have the thread started: I think it's back to
> compiling my kernel, again.  It looks like the "stock"
> kernel had v4l enable (or maybe I enabled that when I
> installed Gentoo).  However, I don't see the bttv.o
> and I don't see any video devices in /dev.
>
> 1) Can I easily check to see if the kernel I have
> compiled and running well (except for vid capture) is
> worth salvaging?
>
> 2) Any good suggestions (other than bytesex.org) for
> getting this working on gentoo?

I installed mythtv and gentoo just last week and have it running right
now.  Some things to keep in mind:

1.) Gentoo out of the box uses devfs.  If you don't have the module
loaded, you're not going to see the device under the dev tree (devfs
creates them on demand).

2.) where do you not see bttv.o?  In the kernel config, in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/..., or when you run lsmod?

3.) If the kernel works for you, salvage it.  Copy .config from
/usr/src/linux-<version>/ to somewhere safe like /usr/src/myconfigs/
Give it a unique name, like 2.4.21-stable_no-vidmods.cfg (This is
personal pref).  The go into 'make menuconfig' and enable v4l <M>, then
go in to the submenu and enable Bt848 <M>.  That should be it for the
kernel.  You'll have to do a little research to set up your
/etc/modules.conf, but after that, just add 'bttv' to
/etc/modules.autoload .

4.) Hit the v4l docs under /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ , Also,
'modinfo bttv' and 'modinfo tuner' will tell you the options available
to those modules.

Here's my modules.conf section, keep in mind, this is for an ATI
TV-Wonder (not VE):

#######/etc/modules.conf for ATI TV-Wonder (not VE)
pre-install bttv        modprobe -k tuner; modprobe -k msp3400
options bttv            radio=0 card=63 fieldnr=1 gbuffers=2 \
bttv_verbose=2
options tuner           type=2
######End /etc/modules.conf for ATI TV-Wonder (not VE)

Note: 'bttv_verbose=2' is an option for the previous line, not sure how
mutt is going to feed that out...

HTH,

Cooper.