[mythtv-users] Re: ALSA sound, unresolved symbols

ElectricianDrew at aol.com ElectricianDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 09:35:02 EDT 2003

OK... I finally just did a complete reinstall of Mandrake 9.1 and now things
seem to have gotten worse.

The install crashes at the very end with "install exited abnormally :-(
--received signal 11". But upon rebooting the system it started right up with no
errors.

SO I looked around in the boot messages and it appears that the i810_sound
module loaded correctly. However, I still got no sound. Switching over to a
console I tried playing a sound file with aplay but it returned "no soundcards
found.....".

I tried installing the latest ALSA drivers but with no success. aplay still
complains about no sound cards, and using "cat /dev/dsp" (is this right?)
returns "device or resource busy".

I did find this portion of my lsmod interesting:

soundcore               6276   0  [i810_audio bttv]

It didn't look like that before... it had previously only listed bttv. Is the
problem that bttv is hogging the sound card? I am kind of at my wits end
here. Seems like everyone is being very helpful with suggestions but nothing is
actually working. Is anyone using this sound card (i810_audio or snd-intel8x0,
whatever it's called) who can make me an RPM or something to get this machine
running?

deadline for me is in about 4 days... :-)