[mythtv-users] Re: ALSA sound, unresolved symbols

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jun 23 10:17:42 EDT 2003

 From what you wrote, your problems seem to be system level, not with Myth.
You might want to supplement this report with one to whatever support list
Mandrake users use to troubleshoot installation problems and to whatever
list supports the ALSA drivers.

At 08:35 AM 6/23/2003 -0400, ElectricianDrew at aol.com wrote:
>OK... I finally just did a complete reinstall of Mandrake 9.1 and now
>things seem to have gotten worse.
>
>The install crashes at the very end with "install exited abnormally :-(
>--received signal 11". But upon rebooting the system it started right up
>with no errors.

This *may* mean that something is broken (probably some applications, just
not the kernel and core apps). Anyway, not all misconfigurations show up as
boot/init errors.

>SO I looked around in the boot messages and it appears that the i810_sound
>module loaded correctly. However, I still got no sound. Switching over to
>a console I tried playing a sound file with aplay but it returned "no
>soundcards found.....".

 From what you write, here and below, I would **guess** that you are using
the kernel's standard (OSS) sound driver, not ALSA. aplay is an ALSA app
and will not work with the OSS driver. Test your sound system using some
standard sound app (e.g., xmms or mpg123) or just by cat'ing any old file
to /dev/dsp .

>I tried installing the latest ALSA drivers but with no success. aplay
>still complains about no sound cards, and using "cat /dev/dsp" (is this
>right?) returns "device or resource busy".

"with no success" is a little vague to elicit any help.

>I did find this portion of my lsmod interesting:
>
>soundcore               6276   0  [i810_audio bttv]
>
>It didn't look like that before... it had previously only listed bttv. Is
>the problem that bttv is hogging the sound card?

No. It probably means that btaudio is running. Have you mentioned what
video-capture card you are using?

>I am kind of at my wits end here. Seems like everyone is being very
>helpful with suggestions but nothing is actually working. Is anyone using
>this sound card (i810_audio or snd-intel8x0, whatever it's called) who can
>make me an RPM or something to get this machine running?
>
>deadline for me is in about 4 days... :-)

This sounds ominous, but I'm not certain what it actually means.