[mythtv-users] LED / LCD for 3.5" bay

Joe Schmidt joe_schmidt at nospammail.net
Fri Jun 20 02:09:32 EDT 2003

Steve Davidson wrote:

>Most of the LCD displays that I've seen (I own several) are too tall to
>fit in a single 3.5" bay; you might be able to wedge a 16x2 LCD in two
>bays (over/under) if you have them available.
>
>As far as suppliers go, I have used both Matrix Orbital
>(www.matrixorbital.com) and crystalfontz (www.crystalfontz.com).  I've
>also ordered from www.kronosrobotics.com; depends on what you really
>want.  Matrix orbital displays are plug and play serial devices, but are
>much more expensive than the others.  Crystalfontz sells a wider variety
>of devices, mostly raw parallel devices that require some soldering
>skills to get working.  Kronos robotics sells serial backpacks that are
>compatible with most of the parallel LCDs available commercially; they
>are inexpensive and easy to work with, but are all ttl-level devices so
>you need some additional circuitry (RS232->ttl level converters, like
>the max232).
>
>All of the above devices work well with LCDProc
>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdproc) and docs/howtos are available
>all over on the web.
>
>HTH,
>
>== Steve
>
>On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 17:19, Joe Schmidt wrote:
>

>>Hello folks,
>>
>>I've seen some nice LCD and LED displays for 5.25" bays, and I'd like to
>>try that on my Myth box. Unfortunately, my 5.25" bay is filled with a
>>DVD-ROM, and all I have free is a 3.5" bay. I haven't found any displays
>>to fit it yet, and I was hoping someone would know of a company that
>>could sell me one? I think it would be nice if I could have a display
>>that could show the time, and maybe the current channel, just like a
>>set-top box.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Joe

Thanks for the info and the other suppliers. I've only heard of Matrix
Orbital up until now. Their "PC-bay Inserts" seem to be just what I
need, and easy (easier, anyway) to use. It looks like I'll need to know
some electronics to be able to handle any other displays, but I've been
meaning to learn that for a while. Maybe this will be a good
opportunity? Only one 3.5" bay open, but I've also been thinking about
getting a more spacious case, so I'll hold off on the display. Thanks
again for the info and links, they're now bookmarked.

--Joe