[mythtv-users] Extenal interface to frontend for OSD and other stuff?

Max max-mythtv-users at lasevich.net
Thu Jun 19 17:29:50 EDT 2003

Have not had a chance to look at this myself yet, but is there an extenal programming interface to MythTV frontend?

I mean some way for other programs to pop up OSD messages regardless of current state of the frontend? For example a way for a caller ID program to generate (timed) message on the screen (if anyone uses elseed or YAC, you know what I am talking about)? Or integrate software notification messages like "download complete" or "so-and-so came online"

Or in more complex scenario - allow user to interact with the extenal OSD message, like if a CD or DVD is inserted and is auto-detected, pop up a message saying "Would you like to play this CD?".

In second scenario the interface would need to allow the external program to control the frontend as well, as it will need to switch to Pause whatever is being done, switch to MythMusic, and play the CD.

This seems like it should be a simple thing (depending on how frontend internals are built), and there is probably something already there, can someone point me to it? Or am I smoking crack?

-M