[mythtv-users] Re: Extenal interface to frontend for OSD and other stuff?

Rob Rogers rob at WizardsTower.net
Thu Jun 19 21:16:53 EDT 2003

* Max <max-mythtv-users at lasevich.net>

> Have not had a chance to look at this myself yet, but is there an =
> extenal programming interface to MythTV frontend?
>
> I mean some way for other programs to pop up OSD messages regardless of
> current state of the frontend? For example a way for a caller ID program
> to generate (timed) message on the screen (if anyone uses elseed or YAC,
> you know what I am talking about)? Or integrate software notification
> messages like "download complete" or "so-and-so came online"

Check out XOSD: http://www.ignavus.net/software.html

"XOSD displays text on your screen, sounds simple right? The difference
is it is unmanaged and shaped, so it appears transparent. This gives the
effect of an On Screen Display, like your TV/VCR etc.. The package also
includes an xmms plugin, which automatically displays various
interesting things as they change (song name, volume etc...)"
"Other software which uses XOSD
 * irexec OSD - infra red remote launcher which uses XOSD for display
 * OsdSH - display clock, battery, connection and volume
 * OSD Clock - minimalist on screen clock
 * OSD Mail - mail notifier
 * PyOSD - Python bindings for libxosd
 * OSDSens - monitors various system sensors and displays the results using XOSD
 * GaimOSD - a module for gaim which alerts you to events in the instant messenger"

Also " Myth TV onscreen Caller ID" thread from January:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Dev_F10/Myth_TV_onscreen_Caller_ID_P48725/

Here's another link: http://www.bah.org/~greg/tivo/xyac/README
"WHAT IS XYAC?
-------------

This program makes your computer a YAC client, willing to receive
YAC messages from YAC servers. It displays the messages on X in an
OSD-like fashion. The security of this application is
non-existent at best. Use at your own RISK!

This program is pretty much the osd_cat sample application that
ships with XOSD trimmed down a bit and then mashed together with
yac_client for Tivo."

Looks like it uses xosd. The tarball is at
http://www.bah.org/~greg/tivo/xyac/xyac-0.1.tar.gz

> Or in more complex scenario - allow user to interact with the extenal
> OSD message, like if a CD or DVD is inserted and is auto-detected, pop
> up a message saying "Would you like to play this CD?".
>
> In second scenario the interface would need to allow the external =
> program to control the frontend as well, as it will need to switch to
> Pause whatever is being done, switch to MythMusic, and play the CD.

This is more complicated (of course). For one, if you've got video
playing, and you stick in a DVD, you can't just pause the video and jump
to the DVD (at least not if you're using XVideo, which you almost
definitely are). You have to back out of whatever's playing before
starting something else. I'm not too sure I'm keen on the idea of
jumping straight to playing when you insert a DVD/CD, but I have been
thinking for a while about the possibility of jumping directly from one
plugin to another with a single command/keypress. I.e. I press the "DVD"
button on my universal remote, and MythVideo launches. Then I press
"Stereo" and MythVideo exits, and MythMusic launches. Saves you from
hitting escape 2-3 times to get back to the main menu, and then choosing
your new plugin...and gets you 2/3 of the way to your suggestion with
what looks to be a lot less trouble.

Just my 2 cents
Rob