[mythtv-users] freeze problems

John Goulah bigjohn at getrockedout.com
Sat Jun 14 14:55:04 EDT 2003

Hi,

 I posted a few days ago about having freeze issues under X, and then I
thought I fixed it by changing the depth res from 24 to 16 but apparently I
spoke too soon.

My configuration is using Redhat 8 and kernel 2.4.21 (just got it yesterday).
I don't know if installing the new kernel with most of the components that I
compiled under the old kernel is causing any of the problems or not, but I
had seen similar issues before with the stock kernel, and with both the
generic and nvidia drivers with the stock kernel also.

For a little bit everything seemed to have fixed itself when I changed the
depth a few days ago (tv viewing under myth tv, and some modules), and now I
have been configuring alsa to work (which seems to almost work with
everything, still some trouble capturing /dev/dsp). Now I get freeze ups,
mostly random, but easily caused when clicking "watch tv" (sometimes I can
just browse the web for a while and get a freeze up)...

I know this really isn't mythtv specific but would anyone have any
recommendations on how to go about fixing this. Maybe someone has a similar
configuration as me , I have

Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra (black) Motherboard
AMD 2600+ XP w/ 1 GB of RAM
ATI TV Wonder
GeForce2 MX400 (PCI)

Could the PCI graphics card be causing problems since it has an AGP slot on
the motherboard? I do see:
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge

in dmesg after I load bttv, but not really sure what that means or if it
matters.

And this is the relevant line from /var/log/messages when the system crashes
on a TV freeze:

Jun 14 13:38:28 mythserver kernel: bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL
(28636363).

Any help is appreciated, I can provide any other info if someone can help
diagnose.
Thanks!
John