[mythtv-users] PVR250 + TVWonder = jerky FIXED

Chad McQuinn chadmcquinn at insightbb.com
Tue Jun 3 18:09:03 EDT 2003

On 6/3/03 3:50 PM, "Isaac Richards" <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 June 2003 03:01 pm, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
>> on the whole, mythtv has been pretty reliable for me, up until the last
>> week.
>
> Mind trying current CVS and seeing if it's better?  I've made the output code
> that Bruce and I have been messing around with optional, with a new
> 'Experimental AV Sync' option in the playback section to enable it.  Not
> having this checked should use the older (ie, previous to last week) code.

I will give it a shot as well and let you know what happens. I seem to have
solved my problem, for the time being at least.

I wanted to try the ALSA drivers instead of the OSS drivers; the soundcard
(SB PCI 128) is supposed to be ASLA-supported, but I never got it to work.
So, I am still using the OSS drivers. However, in the process I downloaded
the 2.4.20 kernel source (kernel.org) and the preempt and low-latency
patches as described in one of the ALSA howtos. Booting with this kernel, I
no longer experience the video playback issues, even with both tuners going.

I don't know whether it was the low latency patches that fixed things, or
maybe it was the RH threading model that was causing problems. I know
Vincent said he was using Debian, but recompiling the kernel is worth a
shot.

-Chad