[mythtv-users] Hardware MPEG2 encdoder really worth it?

ndep8515 ndep8515 at postoffice.uri.edu
Thu Jul 31 13:26:01 EDT 2003

are the hardware mpeg2 cards like the Hauppauge Freestyle/250/350 worth it?

Right now im using wintv-pci with 640x480 rtjpeg 170 quality
with this setting im not using btaudio just the pass through, should I be
using the btaudio?

Also, recording mpeg2 to the hard drive then watching it at the same time..
whats the cpu usgae usualy?

like right now on my athlonxp 1900+ with the above settings in LiveTV
(recording/watching at the same time) I have about 30-40% cpu free... 60%
usage.

If it really is worth the upgrade.. should I grab the PVR 350/250 or
freestyle.

The freestyle looks like a nice cheap all around mpeg2 encoder I really want
to get one.

Any problems with the mpeg2 encoders and Live TV viewing?

Thanks.
Nick D