[mythtv-users] mythvideo and DVD's

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 00:10:20 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 23:00, Brent Borghese wrote:
> Using mencoder from the mplayer project you can rip and re-encode your
> DVD's to a single AVI file:
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=192 -ovc
> lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1800 -o "Star Trek -
> Nemesis.avi"
>
> The above line will read the first title off of the DVD using the
> English sound track and then re-encode the video at 720x480 in mpeg4 @
> 1800 bits/sec and the audio in MP3 format at a constant bit rate of 192k
> bit/sec.
>
> It took me a while to come up with this, if you try using a variable bit
> rate with the audio, the video and audio sync get way out of sync.   And
> most of the time windows does not know how to play the audio in the AVI
> files that mencoder creates.
>
> On a AMD XP 1700+ CPU can re-encode a move in about read time, so a 116
> minute movie takes about 116 minutes to re-encode to mpeg4/divx.

dvdrip is a great GUI tool to achieve this.  It uses the 'transcode' tools as
well as mplayer.  It's just a GUI (Perl, I think) wrapper around a bunch of
command line utilities, but it really takes the guesswork out of dvd ripping,
supports multiple codecs, subtitle ripping, 2-pass encoding, and more.

-JAC