[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Freestyle Info & ?s

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Mon Jul 28 14:03:26 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 02:00:05PM -0500, Drew Lenze wrote:
> 1.  Do multiple Hauppauge cards work together?  I'm interested in any
> combinations of Freestyles and PVR-250s.

I can answer this one definitively.  I have two PVR-250's and they worked
out-of-the-box with the latest ivtv package.  Picture/sound quality is
fantastic.

I run mine at full NTSC height/width at the highest quality/bitrate.  It
takes about 4GB/hour per card.  At these settings, I would get a few (a
dozen or so per hour) dropped frames, but a simple code change in the ivtv
driver eliminated even that.  For details, look for my earlier post(s).

Also, there is some traffic on the ivtv-devel mailing list this weekend
about IO_REMAP settings to prevent excessive memory usage.  I haven't tried
this yet, but at this point, multiple Hauppauge card support can only get
better (starting from "quite good").

Russ

P.S. I am about to ask a mailing-list question concerning the output files
from these cards confusing mplayer, so don't mistake this "I love these
cards" post with "there is nothing to be improved." ;-)