[mythtv-users] PV-BT878P and DC10+

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 11:22:47 EDT 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 19:26, Mark Edwards wrote:
> 2. TV Tuner problem.
>
> As I said, tuner and TV card work a treat, but recording TV is not so
> great. Processor capacity is not up to much and the AV synch lag is a
> thing to behold. I have therefore hacked my BT878 card and connected the
> output of my tuner to the input of the Zoran MJPEG card. I can now watch
> two xawtv sessions with the same TV picture... Woo Hoo.
>
> What I am pretty sure I really want to do though, is this:
>
> a) send TV tuning IOCTLS to /dev/video0
> b) watch and record /dev/video1 and associated audio line input.
>
> I thought there may be a way to do this using some of the existing
> MYthTV functionality, but I am a bit of a newbie at this game and
> probably need a nudge in the right direction.
>
> Unfortunately, I appear unable to tune the bttv card and watch the Zoran
> card at the same time.

Try this: setup Mythtv to use your MJPEG card as the video device.  In the
backend setup, define an external channel change script to do the actual
channel changing.  You can write a script that will call the v4lctl program
(part of the v4l-tools package) to change the channel on you bt878 tuner.

This setup is similar to having an external tuner like a digital cable box.

Good luck!

-JAC