[mythtv-users] Convert to standard MPG files

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sun Jul 27 06:06:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

Have you tried playing the .nuv files? I think there should be nothing
special about these files, except the extension...

And, if you would go about reencoding them, you would loose a lot of
information in the proccess!!

Kenneth

[NOTE] - MPEG4 (DivX) should be playable in windows from scratch, but
seriously, install some of the other codecs out there (divx.com)...

ElectricianDrew at aol.com  wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to take the .NUV files (myth's internal encoder is set to MPEG4
compression) and convert them to regular MPG's for viewing on a Windows box
with Windows Media Player 9. There's a lot of talk about this on the dev
list but I'm having trouble making sense of it all. I would like to know
what options I have as far as bitrate, etc. because I need to fit as much as
possible on a 4.7 GB DVD. "VCD" quality might be OK but I'd like
instructions for a few different levels of quality so that I can play around
with it.

Now, I'm not trying to make the DVD disc playable in a DVD player, I just
want MPG files on a DVD data disc that can be played in Windows Media
Player.

So, this is what I need to know:
- How to convert the NUV files - MPEG4 encoded - to a "standard" .mpg file
for viewing on Windows machines with WMP9.
- Options I have for conversion, i.e., bitrate, compression, resolution,
whatever to experiment with
- is there a way to view the .mpg files ... reading them off of the DVD
discs ... within the mythtv interface?
- and of course a good DVD burning program to burn a DATA dvd disc (NOT dvd
video) under Linux

Thanks in advance!