[mythtv-users] MythTV: Sound issues.

matt SyOp at Reigm.Com
Thu Jul 24 16:47:23 EDT 2003

Ok, I'm new, and have, up to now managed, not to send a message.
Bringing you up to speed...
<Bring Up to speed>
1) Started w/ Mandrake 9.1 RPMs
2) Found out they were lacking, removed them...(where is that ./setup)
3) Installed from source using the 62 page install guide.
	(That is a GOOD guide.  Installed EZ)
4) Get backend filled, all that fun stuff, run into a few gliches,
nothing fatle. (Why am I seeing the Malvern Channel line up, I said
Coatsville)
</Bring Up to speed>

Ok, then I go to run MythTV.
1) Start backend Can't get port 6543
2) Start backend Again OK
3) Start frontend: sound device open ?!?
4) Read mailing list arcives, OK
5) check /dev/dsp/ -> arts running -> KILL arts
6) sound still works, start mythfrontend -> OK, wait no sound ?!?
7) re-boot, ok MythTV dosn't work, try disabling ARTS
8) re-boot, no sound ?!? Device in use ?!? Current use device -> NOTHING
9) re-enable ARTS, everything but MythTV works.

Tall & Short
ARTS -> Eveything works except MythTV
NO ARTS -> nothing works

The Question:
1) Is there a way for MythTV to play nice with ARTS, or am I SOL?
2) Is there a process that '/sbin/fuser -av /dev/dsp' wouldn't tell me
about?

System Specs:
AMD 1800+
Dual boot Mandrake 9.1 & Win2000 (Please may I give up Widnows)
ATI Raden VE
WinTV2go (BT878)(the same stupid TV card)
SiS Chipset
SiS Intigrated Sound (SiS 7012)

Thanks,
Matt