[mythtv-users] Illegal instruction **documentation did not help**

William Lindner blazing-dragon at charter.net
Wed Jul 23 19:51:36 EDT 2003

I was interrested in trying out mythtv, so I configured my ATI TV Wonder VE to work and so I tested it with xawtv, and it works fine.  So I installed apt kickstart and it works fine also.  I then went on to install mythtv-suite with apt.  It installed everything I needed and then I added the line to the mySQL database, so then I was trying to run the mythtvsetup but it gave me the error "illegal Instruction".  In the MythTV documentation it told me that I would need to change the settings.pro file so that I modify it so that -march=pentiumpro is changed to -march=i586.  I'm using an AMD K6-3 processor and I think you need to do that for just AMD K6-2 or VIA C3 processors, but I've installed mythtv from source before (I had to format everything, so I lost it all, that's why I'm reinstalling from the rpms) and I had to change that line...  and it worked fine.  But with the RPM I can't make that change...  So I decided to try to install from source since apt installed all the dependencies for me already when I was trying to install mythtv-suite.  I downloaded the source and changed the -march=pentiumpro line to -march=i586.  Then I did this:

./configure
make
make install

I did this in the mythtv directory so that it would install everything and I added mythtv to the mySQL database.  this all went off without a hitch...  so I went to the setup directory and typed ./setup  this caused the computer to access the hard drive for a little bit, but then all it did was say "Illegal Instruction".  I checked the documentation...  but I've followed all of those instructions and it didn't help.

So I guess I'm just wondering if it's possible that when apt installed all of the dependencies for mythtv-suite if those were not installed for the right architecture if that could cause the problem...