[mythtv-users] Re: mpeg2 playback glitches

Steven J. Finnegan sjf at controlsoftcorp.com
Wed Jul 23 11:08:05 EDT 2003

Well, I don't know what you are watching at the gym, but the crawl does NOT
jerk when watching REAL live-TV, or when watching it thru my TiVo. Seems to
me the crawl is an excellent indicator, since any jerk that would occur on
a fairly static screen would probably not be noticed. It gives us a
constant-motion item to detect ANY inconsistencies.

Hummm, a 'vibratory' thought... I wear glasses. I have noticed, on
occasions while brushing my teeth, that the TV screen seemed to be
jittering (other objects appeared normal). I decided that my glasses were
being vibrated by the electric toothbrush -- and strobing with the TV
scans. If you were watching the crawl from an exercise machine, maybe this
is what you saw...

sjf

At 09:01 7/23/2003, you wrote:
>Personally I don't think that the news ticker should be used as an
>indicator for smooth playback.  The reason I am saying this is
>because
>I remember seeing the 'jerk' even in xawtv in overlay mode. Also, on
>plain (I emphasize plain, not any fancy unit) TV set @ the gym I see
>the same jerky motion of the newsticker. Now I know that there I
>don't
>have any buffer or X11 to blame.
>
>Alex

Steven J. Finnegan, President