[mythtv-users] Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 21 15:16:18 EDT 2003

On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, Joshua Santelli wrote:

>> Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on
>> the Mac). I'm
>> guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported
>> by QuickTime.
>
> I'll look into vlc and give it a shot.  Quicktime does
> throw an error about the codec but I wasn't sure what
> codec this avi used and what I can use.  Getting this
> into iMove (or another video editing program) is the
> main concern.

I'm going to look into this issue some more myself... I'll let you (and
the list) know what I figure out (if anything :).

>> I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the
>> deal, rather than an
>> avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an
>> avi file to
>> something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using
>> Cleaner (but it ain't free :).
>
> Anyone know how I would do that (get this into a
> "standard" mpeg4)?  I'm up for any format as long as I
> can get iMove to import the file and then let me edit
> it.

I've bee reading up on mythmkmovie, and it supposedly spits out divx
avi files... I've never had a problem w/QuickTime viewing any of the
divx files I've created, so I'd double-check that you have the divx
codec plugins for QuickTime installed.

-jcw