[mythtv-users] Controlling a cable box

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Jul 21 12:22:09 EDT 2003

Others have answer the IR part - I can give more info on the serial port
part... see comments inline...

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 08:23, Ignacio wrote:
> Hi, yesterday i found out a few things about my digital cable box:
> 1. It has a serial port

What kind of cable box?  We'd need to know the make and model number of
your cable box.  Also, the name of your cable provider.  (For example,
Comcast/AT&T, while evil, provide boxes that can be controlled via the
serial port.)  We'd also need to know your general geography.  (If you
have Comcast/AT&T, some parts of the country are apparently more
amenable to enabling serial ports on cable boxes...)

> so i have 3 questions:
> 1. Can i use a serial cable instead of an I.R. transmitter

Depends on the box, firmware version, cable provider, and some luck...

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com