[mythtv-users] Controlling a cable box

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Mon Jul 21 10:42:02 EDT 2003

> Hi, yesterday i found out a few things about my digital cable box:
> 1. It has a serial port
> 2. It has an R blaster port
>
> so i have 3 questions:
> 1. Can i use a serial cable instead of an I.R. transmitter
> 2. What does the I.R. blaster port do
> 3. Would these transmitters work
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2743486907&category=44961
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2743025215&category=44961

Just to add to this, can someone explain better what an IR blaster
actually is? ... I understand the concept of plugging in an IR
reciever and changing channels etc, but why would you use an IR
Blaster rather then the remote that comes with your cable box?

So far every descritption I find only tells me the obvious "Adds an IR
reciever to your cable box" ... I know there has to be more to it
otherwise like I said, why wouldn't you just use the remote that comes
with your box?

Information is totally appreciated (or if you have links to better
resources then I could find so far)
Thanks!
Lonny