[mythtv-users] Changing hostname breaks mythtv?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sun Jul 20 22:07:54 EDT 2003

On Sunday 20 July 2003 07:57 pm, Shawn Jackson wrote:
> I had to change the hostname of my box when I put it on my network (so I
> could transfer files and encode to xvid for archival purposes) and when I
> changed the hostname from localhost to mythbox I found that I could no
> longer use mythtv.
>
> In the front end if i go tv > live tv > it just quits to the desktop.  If i
> set the hostname back to localhost.localdomain everything works ok, but
> then I can't network.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion for poor old shawn?

The hostname is used in quite a few places to identify settings local to the
particular machine, which machine a recording is on, etc.  If you don't have
anything important in your mythtv setup (recordings you'd like to keep, etc),
it'd really be easiest to just wipe the entire database and reconfigure it
from scratch.

If you don't want to do that, here's a list of what you'll need to change in
the database:

 - hostname field in the recorded table (make sure you also re-set the
starttime when you change the hostname, else it'll munge up that and you'll
have to set it again).

 -  hostname in the settings table.

 -  hostname in the capturecard table.

 -  hostname in the transcoding table.  Well you probably don't have to change
this one..  Probably weren't using it.

 -  hostname in the musicplaylist table.

That should be all.  Probably could be scripted if someone wanted to
contribute a little 'changehostname' script or whatnot.

Isaac