[mythtv-users] Can I SU to root w/o typing a password?

Max Kalika max+lists.mythtv.users at lsit.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 18 10:22:07 EDT 2003

Quoting John Klimek <jmk396 at psu.edu>:

> How could I have it automatically type in a password?

A better way would be something like the following.  This assumes su uses
PAM.  Add the following line to your /etc/pam.d/su file:

  auth     sufficient   /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=ruser
sense=allow onerr=fail file=/etc/security/suauth.nopass

Then add the username of your mythfrontend user to
/etc/security/suath.nopass.

And I imagine you can configure your mythfrontend to run:

  su - -c halt # (or better yet /sbin/halt)

You can also probably achieve the same with sudo, but that requires another
package.

---max kalika
--max at lsit.ucsb.edu
-lsit systems administrator