[mythtv-users] Can I SU to root w/o typing a password?

John Klimek jmk396 at psu.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:10:21 EDT 2003

Is there any semi-secure way to SU to root?

I'm running mythfrontend on my X-Box and when the frontend exits it runs
"halt" to shut off the x-box.  However, halt must be run as root and my
x-box logs in as a different user by default.

Now I think I could type "su -c halt" to switch to root, then run halt, but
it will still prompt me for a password.

How could I have it automatically type in a password?

Also, is my syntax right for switching to root then running halt?  I want my
xbox to shutdown when I exit mythtv (using the option in the mythfrontend
settings).