[mythtv-users] PVR 250 vs. ATI TV WONDER VE

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Fri Jul 18 00:02:43 EDT 2003

> I know the PVR 250 has a hardware encoder, but is it worth the money? Is
> going to increase the performance substantially? I currently use the ATI
> TV WONDER VE. If it does increase the performance, can I get away with a
> 500 Mhz processer for a frontend,backend box?

I have 2 PVR 250's in a P2-350 and a P3-500, 2 in each, 4 total. I would
never
have been able to afford the CPU power to be able to encode 4 shows at 720 x
480
at a time, but the 250's do it with ease. These are backend only machines
and I
don't think you could use a 500 as both fornt and backend unless you are
willing to
reduce the quality somewhat. The stability of the driver for the 250 is not
100%, but
much improved in the last little bit.

Dennis