[mythtv-users] Nova-T DVB trouble

Dave dave_fluff at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:24:57 EDT 2003

A friend of mine has sorted this out for me - I'll explain at the
bottom, but first:

 --- Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org> wrote: > On Wed,
2003-07-16 at 19:58, Dave wrote:

> Hi what DVB driver are you using?  The current myth DVB code does not
> work with the CVS DVB driver or the CVS dvb-kernel driver.  You have
> be using 1.0.0pre3 or similar.

I'm using 1.0.0pre2.  It's now working using that driver.

> You need use_ts set to 0, set to 1 it does not work.

OK, done.

> Oh, Also live tv channel changing does not work with DVB yet.

No, I think I mentioned that I was aware of that problem.  My problem
was the more general one of backend not being able to tune for
recording.

Anyway - here's the fix for anyone else trying to get DVB working.  I
don't know the reasons, other than I think it's been mentioned recently
on the myth-dev list.

>From my settings in my original email, the following needed to be
changed:

In the capturecard table:
videodevice needs to be "0" rather than "/dev/dvb/adapter0",
defaultinput needs to be ""  (ie. an empty string),
use_ts needs to be "0"  (from Zaheer's suggestion above).

In the cardinput table:
inputname needs to be "" (empty string).

This then at least managed to tune to different frequencies.  I then
managed to work out myself that in the channel_dvb table, the Forward
Error Correction settings in hp_code_rate and lp_code_rate for each
channel needed to be in the form of (for example)  "3_4" or "NONE"
instead of "FEC_3_4" or "FEC_NONE" respectivly.

Having made these changes, I can now record from my Nova-T card quite
happily :)

Hope this info is helpful to other people experimenting with the joys
of DVB cards.

--Dave