[mythtv-users] Dedicated x-box frontend?

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:48:29 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:01:33AM -0700, Allen T. Gilliland IV wrote:
> I don't think launching mythtv on an xbox is that big
> of a deal.  I am using the evox dashboard and so I
> just have a menu item labeled "mythtv" ... when i
> press enter over it linux starts up.  i haven't
> figured it out yet, but all you need to do is have
> your startup scripts launch xwindows and mythfrontend
> and you should be set.  and its probably best to run
> as root since then you can use the "end mythtv and
> shut down computer option" when you're done.

I was under the impression from what he was saying that he actually
wanted more than that.  He said he didn't like having to go to evox,
and then linux, and then myth..

A script would remove one of those steps.

However, if someone came up with the default.xbe, your xbox could
automagically go straight to myth upon hitting the power switch.
That would be the ultimate in coolness.  Skip the dashboard default.xbe
altogether and just have one that goes straight to myth.  You know,
I'll bet you could do this with the official linux bios.  It's
going to go straight to linux without evox, and then the simple
startup scripts would get you mythfrontend running.  That sounds like
it would be the way to go.

Evox only serves one purpose for me anyway: It's required for gentoox.
The others are capable of using the linux bios..  Hmm.. that sounds to
me like it would be the way to go...

> Kirby ... about your issues.  I tried gentoox and
> found that it didn't provide good quality playback for
> me.  I believe the reason is that it only uses the
> vesa frame buffer driver, which isn't 2d accelerated.
> For me the problem was fixed using Ed's Debian with
> the the riva driver.  This was especially important
> for me because I do very high quality recordings ...
> and they just weren't playing back well under gentoox.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that.   It looks like gentoox has a
rivafb patch.  that might make myth work better.  I'm not sure if I'm
running it or not.

  "kernel - mandatory and non-downgradable/ fixable
  In Home v1, this will just allow for the alsa patch to install.  In Home
  v2 and Pro, this will install rivafb support (800x600)"

Hmm.. wonder if for some very strange reason I need to run in 8x6 to
get rivafb..  I'll have to explore.  ;)

I can definitely see a problem
with that.  I went with gentoox because: 1) i have it on my pc so i'm
more familiar with it.  I've never done debian..  2) it seems to be more
up to date.  Perhaps I'm wrong on this.

> And as for your remote key mappings ... I tried using
> the ult utility for a while, but i don't think it
> works properly.  It seemed to me that the mapping has
> to be set when the module is originally loaded.  The
> only way I could fix this was to actually modify the
> mapping table inside the module code.

and then just recompile the module.  I had looked at the module
code and it looked like the .h file made that relatively easy.  I guess
that's what I'll have to do.

Oh.. do you have the deinterlace option turned on?  It seemed to help me
to have it turned on, but I'm not totally sure why, since it is going to
a tv.

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute