[mythtv-users] Dedicated x-box frontend?

Allen T. Gilliland IV alleng4 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 10:01:33 EDT 2003

I don't think launching mythtv on an xbox is that big
of a deal.  I am using the evox dashboard and so I
just have a menu item labeled "mythtv" ... when i
press enter over it linux starts up.  i haven't
figured it out yet, but all you need to do is have
your startup scripts launch xwindows and mythfrontend
and you should be set.  and its probably best to run
as root since then you can use the "end mythtv and
shut down computer option" when you're done.

Kirby ... about your issues.  I tried gentoox and
found that it didn't provide good quality playback for
me.  I believe the reason is that it only uses the
vesa frame buffer driver, which isn't 2d accelerated.
For me the problem was fixed using Ed's Debian with
the the riva driver.  This was especially important
for me because I do very high quality recordings ...
and they just weren't playing back well under gentoox.

And as for your remote key mappings ... I tried using
the ult utility for a while, but i don't think it
works properly.  It seemed to me that the mapping has
to be set when the module is originally loaded.  The
only way I could fix this was to actually modify the
mapping table inside the module code.

-- Allen